Monday, May 31, 2010

~Kicking Off Summer~

I'm well aware that Summer doesn't technically start for a few more weeks, but last Monday really felt like the beginning of summer.  It was over 90 degrees outside with the humidity making it feel like 95.  The sun was beating down, the world was green, and it was time to pull out the kiddie pool!  We set it all up, got dressed in our swimsuits and cover ups, and headed over to Target to restock on bubbles, pool toys, swim towels, sunscreen and the like.  When we got home we unloaded the car and headed straight out to the backyard.
Whoever invented spill-proof bubble containers was a genius.  Seriously, why didn't I think of that?
Alec loves the little pool, but as you can see it's getting a bit small for two kids.  
Good thing we picked up a bigger one a Target to set up on the next super hot day.
Lyssa is in love with her bubbles.  Seriously, she sits and blows them all day!
On the way to Target Alec begged me to buy squirt guns, and after many sweet pleadings from the little man all over the store I finally gave in.  As I put the 97 cent pack of 3 little plastic squirt guns in the cart Alec squealed with delight and said "Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you so much Mommy!"  He caused such a scene that people everywhere stopped what they were doing and stared.  He sure knows how to show it when he's grateful, and it makes getting squirted in the face all summer totally worth it.  Besides, these days I can use the extra help cooling off. :-)
What a little babe.  
I love this swimsuit that she picked out with me this past Spring on one of our mommy/daughter dates.  So cute!
Alec enjoyed squirting his reflection, along with Lyssa's reflection and both of our faces.  
Luckily Lyssa just laughs...
Around 1:45 they were ready to wrap up in their new beach towels (just $2 in the dollar section at Target) and eat some lunch before heading off to their beds for short naps.  Then back out to the bubbles and the pool!!!
Though I'm not really excited to experience the summer heat in my large pregnant glory, I am excited for days spent in the backyard pool, mornings at the splash pads, swimsuits, the smell of sun-screened kiddos, swimming lessons, popsicles and loads of fresh fruit, sandal tans, vacations to family, and all the lovely things that come with Summer.  I've got air conditioning, a basement for cooling off, and a maternity swimsuit that I don't mind wearing every day of the week.  I'll survive.  
Bring on the Summer!  We're ready!!!!

3 comments:

Erin Starks-Teeter said...

That last picture is wonderful. I love it. Yay for backyard summer fun!

Michelle said...

I love everything about this post! It makes me SO excited for summer!

Amber Joy said...

Heavens! That looks like so much fun! Can I join? You are making me really excited for the summer, though I don't have two super-cute kids, a backyard or a pool... I think I will have to work on that. :o)

Big Brother.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Big Sister.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Baby Sister.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers