Sunday, December 7, 2008

Christmas Time is Here...

Well, here in Iowa it's beginning to look (and feel) a lot like Christmas, with twinkling lights on every street and a white blanket of snow covering all the surfaces. It looks beautiful, doesn't it? It's really too bad that there has been a nasty layer of ice underneath all that snow, and the frozen temperatures of the teens (with wind chills putting us in the single digits) decided to show their ugly faces too.
If anything, the cold temperatures get us to snuggle up on the couch a little more.... and who can complain about a good snuggle? We've had lots of snuggles lately, because a good snuggle helps anyone feel a little bit better, and currently we're on round two and three with ear infection medicine for the bambinos. Yuck.Still despite the cold weather and the ever present ear infections, most of the day the kids are in good moods, enjoying the holiday spirit eating candy canes....or crawling around in fuzzy, warm fleece festive clothing.
(You can't see it, but Lyssa is sporting a reindeer on that outfit).In true holiday spirit our house is filling with yummy festive goodies that make everything delightful. Roasting batch after batch of these (cinnamon and sugar roasted almonds) made my house smell delicious!Putting them together in 50 pretty little bags might have been overwhelming, but we made a date of it. Nick helped me while we watched 'White Christmas'. (On a side note, ever since I was a little girl I wanted to be the dancer sister...)
Wala! One movie later they're all packaged, tagged, and bows were tied. Fabulous! Now 50 deliveries to be made. :-) The kids have done surprisingly well with the tree. Yes, Christmas ornaments on the bottom teir usually all come off during the day, and I spend a couple minutes every night finding them around the house and putting them back on.
Alec's favorite are the candy canes. He pulls them off, breaks it in half and says "Uh oh! It's broken. I gotta eat it!" Funny kid. We've since moved the candy canes up higher, making Alec's new favorite ornament my gold star.
Lyssa likes any ornament she can get off the tree, but surprisingly hasn't attempted pulling off the lights. Thank goodness, eh? Here she is showing off her favorite little wooden Christmas tree, while wearing her pretty white, sparkly Holiday dress. Such a cutie, with her hair finally long enough to pull back in a beret.
Like father like son, Alec is sporting a festive Holiday bow tie this year. I think this may be one of my favorite Alec pictures of all time, with that sweet cheesy grin. I love it. Merry Christmas to you!

8 comments:

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

Such darling kiddos...I love Alec in his bow tie! Sorry about the ears...no fun. I agree it is definitely feeling a lot like Christmas!

Unknown said...

What funny kids! And what a smart kid that Alec is to know that broken candy canes need to be eaten. :) Funny guy.

Kylen and Adrienne said...

Your house looks so great and the kiddos are just beautiful!

Haylee Mollerup said...

So much to comment on this post! * That picture of your house is gorgeous with the white blanket of snow and Christmas lights hanging! Beautiful!
* Oh how I don't miss the Iowa winters! I can't believe I've already forgotten how bitter cold it is! We're still in the high 40's and 50's here in good old Idaho!
* Those cinnamon and sugar roasted almonds look SO YUMMY!!! Recipe??
*The last two pictures of Alec and Lyssa are ADORABLE!!! I LOVE that picture of Alec in his bowtie! That's a winner picture!!!!

Robyn said...

You have the cutest gingerbread house. I'm lovin' these pics with your new camera. The kids look great!

Mandy said...

Merry Christmas Parkinoson family, hope you guys have a great trip. We'll have to get together when we are all back in town and try to stay sane with the frigid iowa winter!

Erin Starks-Teeter said...

Those last two pictures are so adorable. I love how their personalites are coming out more and more.

Heather said...

Your house looks so cute. I want to come visit. And snow? Dude, what is that stuff? Right now, it might be a little cold, but there is green green grass out my window.

Big Brother.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Big Sister.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Baby Sister.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers