Sunday, March 14, 2010

~My Little Bookworms~

Alec has always loved books.  It might have something to do with the fact that as a 6 month old I would read to him for at least a full hour every day.  What can I say?  I didn't know what else to do with a baby that didn't have any interest in crawling and I was tired and pregnant.  Reading was the way to go.  After Lyssa was born I remember being worried that she wouldn't grow up loving books because I couldn't give her near the reading attention.  Somehow though she too has learned to LOVE books.  We have quite the selection thanks to my mother's diligent DI searches.  She scours the shelves for the very best books, and sends them our way for literally pennies a piece. I love love love that she sends us books and I love that my babies will spend hours all by themselves reading their stories.

Unfortunately you just can't get some books at DI because they're too good, too rare, or too new.  That is when Grandma comes to the rescue with Barnes and Noble gift cards!  Our last night in Utah my mom took the babies and I over to browse through the children's book section to find some literary treasures.  I picked out "Enemy Pie" (a book they enjoy now and will hopefully apply to life in upcoming years), and "Llama Llama Mad at Mama" (a delightful rhythmic tale, quite applicable to life at 2 and 3).  Alec found a "Cars" book, that gives a detailed description of the entire plot behind the movie.  NOT my favorite book so it's a good thing he enjoys just looking at the pictures and telling the story himself.  With guidance Lyssa picked out "The Very Hungry Caterpillar", a delightful classic any child can enjoy.  

It was a struggle to get Alec to give up his book long enough to get pajamas on.  As soon as hair and teeth were brushed the kiddos were back out to the living room to read their books.  I came out to find this lovely scene....
It just melted my heart watching them snuggle together, wrapped up in their jammies, reading their books.  As a mother of two little ones only a year a part, this is the stuff my dreams have been made of since I found out I was pregnant with Lyssa.
Thank you, Grandma Shannon, for showering us with good books since before my babies were born.  
We love them!
But just so you know... we love you more than books. (wink wink)

4 comments:

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

Enemy Pie is on my list of books to purchase, as well as the "Llama Llama" books. I had a new one for you the other day. I can't remember what it is now. What precious little ones!

Michelle said...

Darling.

Tiffany said...

Awww. Cute kiddos!

pianomom said...

And I love YOU more than logotherapy:-)

Big Brother.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Big Sister.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Baby Sister.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers