Diamond Fork Canyon is home to some beautiful waterfalls and hot springs and we were bound and determined to visit them! Can you see the determination on his face?
Last summer I was very pregnant and very hot and very uncomfortable, but we still managed to go on two good hikes. I just didn't enjoy them. This year I wanted to try them again, only the baby would be on to the outside of me this time. She may be a good 15 lbs heavier now than she was in my tummy, but it was still a much more comfortable 4 mile hike this go around and everyone was much happier.
Everyone was happy for a while anyway. The the older kids got hungry and tired and grumpy. Lucky for us there is a nice table rock next to a beautiful bridge at the half way point where we could stop and have a little tea party. Grandma Shannon is always so prepared. ;-)
After a little rest the kids were up and going again, with Alec singing pirates songs most of the way. Lyssa hung back with Erin, but kept on trudging along. We finally reached the hot springs/water falls. What fun! Grandpa Steve was kind enough to take tired Cordy so I could explore a bit with the older kiddos. They were amazed at how cold the waterfall water was but how hot the springs water was at the same time. Mostly they couldn't get over the rotten egg smell of the sulfur.
Last year that was as far as we went, but this year we hiked up a little bit further to see the upper water fall. Beauitful! It's sooo worth the extra 5 minutes up the steep hill, though Alec was pretty crabby and refused to get in the picture.
Then there was the long hike back. My mom was kind enough to take Cordy all the way down the trail since my older kiddos were both exhausted and kind of losing it and refusing to go to anyone else. Silly kids. I actually ended up carrying Lyssa's 31 lbs. of dead asleep weight at least half a mile down the trail. I kept saying "My trainer would be so proud" and I felt so strong. Then Lyssa woke up and Erin took over the task of motivating the little lady down the trail. I managed to somehow move Alec along for a good mile and half despite his pleas to be carried. Needless to say, they were both very grumpy and extremely exhausted but my Dad and I just sang songs, kept up good spirits and kept him going.
When we finally made it back to the car the kids were done, and they fell asleep in the car right away. I was pretty tired myself from carrying my big kids so far, but made it back home safe and sound for a relaxing evening and good nights sleep.



3 comments:
This is in my area. We did this hike many times last year. As far as I know this is the ONLY rewarding fairly easy hike.
What a fun time!
Sounds exhausting but very fun! I wish I was there.
Post a Comment