Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A long dread day came yesterday. The little man learned how to climb out of his crib.  

Lyssa woke up from nap time screaming bloody murder so I went in to get her.  In the screaming process she woke up Alec.  Lately he's acquired this nasty habit of taking off his diaper when he wakes up so I decided to change Lyssa in Alec's room, hoping to deter Alec from marking his territory.  While changing Lyssa on the floor, Alec climbed out his crib with ease.  I was stunned.  He climbed back in and climbed out again a second time. The third time I ran and got the camera. 
Nick converted Alec's crib into a toddler bed.  We talked to him about how big boys sleep in their bed all night long and don't get out of bed in the morning until their parents come to get them.  Alec was so excited to sleep in a big boy bed, and stayed there until 8:15 this morning, at which time he woke up and yelled "Mommy, I'm awake!" and climbed out of bed and half way up the stairs to my room.  
 I have mixed feelings about all this.  I'm proud of him for learning a new big boy skill, but I'm sad to loose an area of control. This isn't a huge surprise, as he's been climbing in cribs for months.  I think he slept well last night, but can't be too sure where he actually slept.  He was exhausted by 11:30 this morning, but staying in bed for nap time today has already been a struggle.  I fear what Alec might try to do once he fully realizes his new found power, and pray he won't start trying to come out of his room at night.  

This is a crazy transition/learning time for Alec in general.  In the last two weeks he has acquired many new skills.  He can climb over the baby gates, therefore the bathroom and stairs are no longer safe.  He can open baby locks on the kitchen cupboards, meaning he can get into anything.  (We saw last week what can happen in two minutes time with a box of baking soda.)  He can open door knob child locks, meaning no room is really off limits.  He knows how to carry my kitchen stool anywhere around the house and set it up to get what he wants up high.  Alec even figured out how to unlock and open our heavy (almost mommy proof) glass sliding door to the backyard.  Thankfully he hasn't figured out how to open the baby gate on the back deck, but still I feel like he has a lot of power... and heaven help me the day he figures it out! 

3 comments:

Erin Starks-Teeter said...

It's just a matter of time before you can take him WALL CLIMBING! Woohoo. Try door knobs with keys. They work pretty well and you can put the keys on the top of the door jams. It will be a while before he can get to the top of the door jam.

melissa ( : said...

Don't you want to make them stop growing???
I know what you mean... it's great to see them learn new skills and all... but sometimes I just miss my tiny newborn baby!!

pianomom said...

I love how Alec claps for himself since NOBODY else is doing it:-) Michael used to get Alan out of his crib long before Alan was 2. Finally I figured out who was doing it. Look out, Lyssa!

Big Brother.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Big Sister.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Baby Sister.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers