I'm over two weeks behind on the blog and made a list of different posts I wanted to do about the last two weeks. When I realized how many I missed I decided that I should probably combine some of them or cut them out, but this one I decided I still wanted to do.
I got to go to Enrichment meeting two weeks ago, kid free and worry free! It was great! Nick was home with the babies and they were both well fed and bathed so I didn't have to worry too much about leaving Nick to take care of everything all by himself. Our enrichment was a combined Relief Society Birthday party and secret sister celebration! I signed up to be a secret sister with one of the young women. She is super cute and I think really enjoyed the little notes and gifts I gave her, though I probably should have done more. It's easy to see myself as a little derelict in my duties, but I think I have a good excuse having a newborn baby and a 1 year old. All the RS secret sisters stood in the front "the bachelor" style with a single long stem rose and interesting facts were read about us as hints to who we were. It was really a cute idea. We ate Cafe Rio style salads (divine) and chatted the evening away.
We also heard some speakers talk about what relief society is and what it means to them. I was touched by some of the statements people made. My visiting teacher, Becca, was one of the speakers and she talked a lot about how Relief Society is an opportunity to serve other people and be served when needed. She talked about the help she received when her 2nd child was born and the entire time I kept thinking of all the wonderful, kind things she has done for me while I'm been making this transition from mommy of one to mommy of two. What a wonderful visiting teacher I have! She is amazing... her attitude, her spirit, and her willing to help me make me want to be an even better visiting teacher.
Relief Society is a wonderful organization, but I was quick to understand what my friend, Sara, meant when she said that she dreaded going to Relief Society when she turned 18. She talked about how that changed for her over time and now she sees how wonderful Relief Society is because it helps us all help and learn from each other. She said she didn't just need the sisters who have young kids or the sisters who are student wives. She said she needed all the sisters because they all bring their own perspectives and their own talents to teach and enrich her life. I totally agree. I'm really glad that I've been able to make friends with some of the sisters in my ward that maybe aren't in the same life situations as me. They all bring something new and teach me so much. I am grateful for Relief Society and the opportunity it gives me to learn the gospel a little better, to enrich my talents and stretch myself to greater lengths, to make and find a new group of friends and family in a place far away from home, and to give me the opportunity to serve and love others. What a beautiful and inspired organization.
Thursday, March 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment